Veradale United Church of Christ
An Open & Affirming Congregation
Worshiping God in Christ – Welcoming All – Working for Justice & Peace
“No matter who you are, or where you are on life’s journey, you are welcome here!”
January 14, 2024 • 10:30 a.m.
10:20 Gathering and Prelude
Wayne Shull, Music Director
Charlie Salt, AV
Joe McSwain, AV and Usher
Jerry Brines, Usher
Sue Ferrozzo, Scripture reader
Naomi Hanvey, Candle lighter
Scotty Patton, Zoom Monitor
Gregg Glisson, Fellowship Set-Up
Naomi Hanvey, Fellowship Clean-up
Rev. Genavieve Heywood, Pastor
10:30am Land Acknowledgement
We worship on the unceded traditional territory of the Spokane, Cayuse, Umatilla, Walla Walla, Coeur d’Alene, and other tribes. We acknowledge the history of indigenous genocide, removal, and erasure that continues to this day. We recognize the role that Christian communities played in these injustices, and we recommit ourselves to seeking more peaceful, just, and neighborly ways of sharing this land with all who call it home.
God is good . . . all the time!
All the time . . . God is good!
Service and Fellowship Opportunities
formerly known as Announcements
*Welcoming the Light of Christ
Hymn I was There to Hear Your Borning Cry 351(NCH)
1, I was there to hear your borning cry, I’ll be there when you are old. I rejoiced the day you were baptized, to see your life unfold.
I was there when you were but a child, with a faith to suit you well; I’ll be there in case you wander off and find where demons dwell.
2. When you heard the wonder of the Word I was there to cheer you on; You were raised to praise the living Lord, to whom you now belong.Should you find someone to share your time and you join your hearts as one, I’ll be there to make your verses rhyme from dusk ’till rising sun.
3. In the middle ages of your life, not too old, no longer young, I’ll be there to guide you through the night, complete what I’ve begun. When the evening gently closes in, and you shut your weary eyes, I’ll be there as I have always been with just one more surprise.
4. I was there to hear your borning cry, I’ll be there when you are old. I rejoiced the day you were baptized, to see your life unfold.
Response 769 (NCH) Hear our prayer, O God! Hear our prayer O God! Incline your ear to us, and grant us your peace.
Prayers of Gratitude
Prayers of Concern
The Lord’s Prayer use the translation which is meaningful to you or
Our Father (Creator) who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name Thy kingdom come. Thy will be done on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespass against us, and lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil. For thine is the kingdom, and the power, and the glory, forever. Amen.
Response: 812 (NCH)
Amen. Amen. Amen.
A Time of Offering
An Invitation to Share
*Offering Acclamation: Hymn: 108 (NCH)
God bring to fruition your will for the earth, that no one shall hurt or destroy, that wisdom and justice shall reign in the land and your people shall go forth in joy, in joy, your people shall go forth in joy!
Spirit of the Living God, anoint these gifts with your blessings. Wash us in your love and help us fulfill God’s vision for our lives, our world, and this your church. We pray in the name of Jesus. Amen.
Listening for God
Message to Young Hearts
What was it like when you created a fort/tent?
When God began to create the heavens and the earth, the earth was complete chaos, and darkness covered the face of the deep, while a wind from God swept over the face of the waters. Then God said, “Let there be light,” and there was light. And God saw that the light was good, and God separated the light from the darkness. God called the light Day, and the darkness he called Night. And there was evening and there was morning, the first day.
so John the baptizer appeared in the wilderness, proclaiming a baptism of repentance for the forgiveness of sins. And the whole Judean region and all the people of Jerusalem were going out to him and were baptized by him in the River Jordan, confessing their sins. Now John was clothed with camel’s hair, with a leather belt around his waist, and he ate locusts and wild honey. He proclaimed, “The one who is more powerful than I is coming after me; I am not worthy to stoop down and untie the strap of his sandals. I have baptized you with water, but he will baptize you with[c] the Holy Spirit.”
In those days Jesus came from Nazareth of Galilee and was baptized by John in the Jordan. And just as he was coming up out of the water, he saw the heavens torn apart and the Spirit descending like a dove upon him. And a voice came from the heavens, “You are my Son, the Beloved; with you I am well pleased.”
Message: The Spirit from the Beginning
Meditation in Music
Our Light moves into the World God Loves
Closing Hymn: Spirit, Spirit of Gentleness 286 (NCH)
(Refrain) Spirit, Spirit of gentleness blow through the wilderness, calling and free. Spirit, Spirit of restlessness, stir me from placidness, wind, wind on the sea.
1. You moved on the waters, You called to the deep, then You coaxed up the mountains from the valley of sleep, and over the eons You called to each thing, "A wake from your slumbers and rise on your wings.”(Refrain)
2. You swept through the dessert, You stung with the sand, and You gifted your people with a law and a land. And when they were blinded with their idols and lies, then You spoke through Your prophets to open their eyes. (Refrain)
3. You sang in a stable. You cried from a hill then You whispered in silence When the whole world was still. And down in the city You called once again when You blew through Your people on the rush of the wind. (Refrain)
4. You call from tomorrow. You break ancient schemes. From the bondage of sorrow, the captives dream dreams. Our women see visions. Our men clear their eyes. With bold new decisions, Your people arise. (Refrain)
Benediction and Community Blessing
Grow in Christ.
Live with Compassion.